Saturday, December 3, 2011
A season of compassion?
When I saw the post over at The Life of a Suburban Princess it spurred me to share it with you. Like her, I'm happy to say several things on the list I do on a regular basis. But I'm going to see how many I can "check-off" the list before Christmas. And will definitely make several more part of my everyday life.
So in this season of hustle and bustle, black friday mayhem, and trying to find the perfect gift. Remember...He gave us the perfect gift.
I added #26 because I whole-heartedly believe we should do this on a regular basis. These families give sooo much every day...missed birthdays and holidays, hugs and kisses, soccer games and bedtime stories. A simple thank you, a cup of coffee, a smile...something small in the face of their huge task.
I will work at keeping you updated on my progress and linking back to the Princess' site. Join me...won't you?
1. Work at a soup kitchen
2. Deliver gifts or goodies to your neighbours
3. Pay for the person in line behind you in the coffee shop
4. Host or participate in a food drive
5. Work at the food bank for a day
6. Tip your mail carrier and delivery person
7. Donate used books and magazines to a library or doctor's office
8. Offer babysitting services to a friend
9. Deliver care packages to the homeless
10. Visit a nursing home
11. Deliver goodies to your local fire and police stations
12. Smile at strangers and say hello
13. Hold the door for everyone you see going into a building and ask them to do the same
14. Write snail mail to 5 people
15. Deliver old towels and blankets to the animal shelter
16. Give your spare change (or more) to someone in need
17. Over tip your waiter/waitress
18. Send letters or care packages to soldiers
19. Forgive someone
20. Take a meal or coffee to an elderly person
21. Leave a wake up surprise for your spouse or children next to their bed
22. Start a conversation with a new person, welcome them to your community
23. Write a letter to a parent you admire letting them know what a great job they are doing with their kids
24. Compliment 10 people
25. Send a text/email to someone you haven't spoken to for a while and let them know you are thinking about them
26. Shake the hand of a veteran or soldier thanking them for their sacrifice and service.